In Loving Memory...


I just want to cry every time I go to a cemetery! This Memorial Day, my kiddies and I tagged along with my parents to visit out "Preceded By's". We visited quite a few graves, but the only ones I remember are My Grandpa White, and Bj's Grandpa White. (Above pic is AJ with his Great Grandpa Joe White -bj's gpa. My mom took pictures at My Grandpa White's grave)

My Grandma White shared a story about when she was a little girl (which I will share the best I can, I was focusing a lot of energy on not crying, so my recollection may be a little foggy): When she went to visit her grandpa's grave for the first time, she noticed the vase hole in the stone, crouched down, cupped her hands around her mouth and hollered directly to him, "Hellooooooooooo Grandpa". Her mom looked down in awe and said, "That's OK!" Since then it has been a tradition for her. It was fun participating, and watching Betsy and Johnny holler down to their great grandparents. I bet they (the deceased & my cousins) look forward to that every year! I know I will from now on!

My Grandpa John L. White, passed away before AJ was born so none of my kids had the privilege of knowing him. He was an amazing man with the kindest heart. Grandpa was so fun to play games with. He is the one who taught me how to play Backgammon, Hand & Foot, Solitare, 21, and many others. He is also the reason I like lemon or lime in my Diet Coke. Just about every time I went there, we would walk in the door, grandpa would stand up, walk into the kitchen, make diet cokes in a tall glass with ice and lemons, then deliver them to his guests. One of my most sought after memories of grandpa are the quiet moments and looks between him and grandma. I think of those moments and am overwhelmed with love. Never, have I seen a couple more in love. It is what I aspire to with BJ. I miss you grandpa.

BJ's grandpa was also a very amazing man. A WWII veteran, like my grandpa, told great stories of his war days. Last Christmas (or was it the one before) Grandma compiled a book of memories from his children and grand children, and had it bound into a hardback book. It also contained his incredible autobiography that he was working on until the end. I knew him for 12 years before he passed away and grew to love him immediately. He was extremely optimistic and was always thinking of ways to bless the lives of others. Joe was so willing to help out with any project, he even helped tile our house 5 years ago. He was so proud of his family, even down to the great grand kids, he had a special place in his heart for all of us and we knew it.

It is understandable that God needs their perfect spirits to help with his work. I feel their spirits often, and although I miss them immensely, I look forward to the day we will be together again.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

That was super-sweet. Thanks so much for sharing! I really appreciate perspective and knowledge the gospel brings!

John and Heidi said...

I love stories of grandparents. I Love the things they teach us and to be able to share them with our kids is even better. Thanks for sharing your stories I really enjoyed the story about learning how to play solitare and the lemon in the diet coke. I have a similar story with my great grandparents. I will have share some time. Thanks

Aimee said...

Cute post. I love and miss grandpa too. He is a great man. Can't wait to see him again.

Shannon said...

Oh I loved this post too. I love that story Grandma told about hollering helloooo. I miss Grandpa. I wish my kids and Tyler could have known him. And I love their relationship too! What an example of LOVE!