Wicked Review


I just finished reading Wicked (which I now own, because one of my kids dropped a mango on it and ruined the cover so I had to replace the one I borrowed that was also borrowed, so if you want to borrow my ruined cover copy, let me know!) and I just have to talk about it!

I feel so bad for Elphie! She needed some serious therapy! Wicked totally changed my views on the whole Wizard of Oz movie and I now have more sympathy (or is it empathy) for the "Wicked" witch of the west!

It was a hard book for me to get through. There was a lot of jargon that I had a hard time wrapping my head around. I enjoy fantasy novels, but have never really read one this far fetched. It really is unique. It does have a lot of underlying issues that I tried to read to much into that made it more difficult to read. A lot happens in those 406 pages. At the end of the book there are "Readers Group Guide" questions that I would love to discuss "Book Clubesque" if anyone is interested. Let me know.

6 comments:

Aimee said...

I have heard tons of mixed reviews on this book. Some say they couldn't make it through - others love it? Go figure.

This post leads me to believe that you really do need to get cracking on goodreads. You are a perfect for it.

TRICIA said...

Ok I guess I lied about my love of all things Wicked. I meant the musical. I couldn't finish the book. I should have read it before knowing about the musical. Sorry if I mislead you.:) I won't be a good discussion partner. I am proud of you for reading it though.

Steph said...

Okay...so I read the book. I almost stopped a half a dozen times because I found the first half disturbing. Seriously, there were so many bizarre-o sexual things that I found myself thinking...should I be reading this?? Because of the popularity of the musical I kept plugging on and finished it.
Overall, I thought the book was well written (although the author is very sexual). I liked seeing what made the wicked witch how she is and the spin he did of her. Would I recommend it to someone else???MMmmmm, probably not. It was weird. :)

Studio 7 Interior Design, Kristen Rockwood said...

We went to the play last year while we were living there, and I loved it! I haven't read the book, but the Broadway show was amazing! I loved how they managed to make the wicked witch, not so wicked! I loved it! So, if you ever get a chance see it! :)

Brian and Wendy said...

As I have told you I love the book. I thought it was a great fantasy book for adults. I have grown to love the wicked witch of the west & can truly relate sometimes. I hope I never act like Glenda!

The Tally Clan said...

I can't say I loved the book but it does make you see the wicked whitch of the west in a whole new way.