So mad right now...

A Farwell to Arms by Ernest Hemmingway
Seriously! I even went to a book club review and had NO idea.
Thinking back the foreshadowing is a little less than obvious, but there nonetheless. Had I known about the ending I would not, I repeat NOT, have tried so hard to get through it. But. Having plowed through it I would recommend it on good reads. I make no sense.
Stinking Hemmingway.

The sad thing is, I even read the last page before I started it!
What a magnificently simple and sadistically satisfying work of fiction.
"Classic love story"
B.S.

(I must say, this is how I received the book from my mom, who got it from her uncle Dick who was a literary genius, as is to be expected of my grandmothers brother. Having said that, and seeing the condition of the book, noting the cost of $1.63 & renewal publish date of 1957, as well as the tabs, dog-ears, and side-bar-comments, the personal and emotional attachment made the commitment a worthwhile cause... Though I'm still upset with the ending. In fact, I've decidedly changed it in my heart. Sorry uncle Dick.)

0 comments: