Alaska Cruise: NOT Victoria

(Journal entry)
Friday-June 7: Victoria, ? Dad woke us up first thing this morning to have a "meeting" about tomorrow's disembarkation. Gotta love him for trying, and letting us hive our input, but we all just ended up leaving it to him to figure out. We had a small breakfast at the international cafe then headed to the princess theatre for the Culinary presentation that smelled amazing and was followed by a tour of one of the ships many Galleys. It was massive, and apparently one of the mid-sided ones. We missed the book club, which I was prepared for and excited about, having previously read, "until i say goodbye" as had mom and Carrie, but the culinary show was an acceptable replacement. 😕 Lunch in Portafino's was quick for mom and I because we had an appointment at the Lotus Spa for a back massage, foot massage, and facial. It felt amazing. It was an hour long and I could have stayed for 8! During our spa treatment the guys took care of our disembarkation details and Bj and I headed to sight see and watch Safe Haven (after stopping for some snacks, shakes and drinks, of course) we both fell asleep (Carrie has proof with a picture) but it was a beautiful sunny day. The movie was on the "theatre under the stars" jumbotron that hangs above the lido pool and is surrounded by lounge chairs. We found a cozy upper deck in the welcoming sunlight and fell asleep under the cover of polarized lenses. We woke up in time for dinner and enjoyed our last meal on the ship.In addition to my entree I ordered a plate of cooked veggies. It was probably the culinary hi-light of my trip. They were perfectly prepared. Had I known, it would have been a nightly regular. During dinner the captain announced through a hushed ship that one of the thrusters was malfunctioning and we would not be able to dock in Victoria so we would be using the rescue boats to shuttle passengers to the city. We were a little put-off but still satisfied and went on with our meal. After about 10 minutes the captain came back on and said because of the thrusters and Canadian custom issues we would not be allowed to tour Victoria. I was probably the least disappointed member of our group and I was pretty bummed. It was a depressing end to our trip. After dinner we went to take some pictures of the city we never toured then made our way to the-quickly-thrown-together-show-to-appease-upset-passengers show. It was good. Though, not quite a sufficient replacement for missing the opportunity to tour Canada for 4 hours. It was dusk when the show ended so after a few pictures we went to listen to our favorite pianist and sip some strawberry daiquiri's (that our waiter went above and beyond to have made for us!) we went back to our room and packed the last of our things so we shouldn't have to get up too early then hit the sack.

0 comments: