Creamy Butternut squash soup

Ok. For those who know me know one of my favorite foods is soup. Pretty much any warm, non-seafood, soup. I've been craving a butternut squash soup I had at a restaurant that I can't remember anything about, except the soup. So, I tried a few Pinterest recipes and a few from all-recipes and found my personal winner. I just took screen shots of the soup and recipe to save my thumbs, but below the recipe are my modifications and instructions.
No one in my house likes this soup.
I could eat it every day.

Instructions:
(Very first, take one, 8oz, block of cream cheese... I only use one... Or even 1/2 of one, two is overwhelming) out of fridge so it can come to room temperature)
*step one can be skipped, I just like the flavor roasting gives instead if boiling.

1- Roast the squash: First, prepare cookie sheet by lining with foil and spraying with non-stick cooking spray, or a light rubbing of Olive oil.
If Costco has the package of peeled cubed squash I buy it, it is the perfect amount. If not, I buy the biggest one I can find at the grocery store. To prepare the Costco squash: place in single layer on prepared cookie sheet. Bake 40 min till squishy-soft. For full squash, if you have a good peeler, peel it then half it, then de-seed it (like a cantaloupe). If your peeler isn't up to peeling a squash, just skip that step and leave the skin on. Place it face down on prepared cookie sheet. Roast for 35-45 min or until soft all the way through. Cube.

2- While squash is roasting: combine all other ingredients--EXCEPT THE CREAM CHEESE--in large sauce pan. If you're not roasting the squash, just add it to everything and bring to a boil. (I've never used marjoram, because I've never purchased it, and I never use black pepper because I don't like it, and it makes the soup look flawed.)

3-Once everything is soft, use immersion blender and purée everything together (or blend in heat tolerant blender... If you don't have immersion blender or heat tolerant blender, bring to room temperature and blend until smooth.

4- Blend cream cheese into hot soup.
Serve.


1 comments:

Lizz said...

By the way... This is really good without the cream cheese.