My mom had a box of photos and letters that she acquired when going through my grandmas house after she passed away. I was going through some them with her and came across these two Western Union telegraphs. Heartbreaking. These are hard to read, but they are documentation from the war office about my great uncle (grandpa Jack's brother Chauncey). The first one is a message home informing the family he has been reported missing. The second is a retraction of the first, stating that he is officially reported killed in action. Like I said,
heart. breaking.
Although it is a sad ending to his life, finding small pieces of paper like this connect a small piece of me to him. The brother of my beloved grandpa. I wonder. I dream. I imagine. What kind of tricks did my joke-loving grandpa play on his brother. What kind of games did they play together? 21... Grandpa taught me that. Did he Chauncey too?? What about backgammon? Was Chauncey his competitor before grandpas grandkids stepped in? I wonder. I dream. I imagine.
Telegraphs
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I never would want to get a telegraph like this. So heartbreaking!
Post a Comment