Firefighter's Chili Cook-off

What a blast!  I have never been to a chili cook-off before and have always wanted to go (because I LOVE chili!).  This event is a fundraiser for the burn camp (Camp Na-Na-Mah) that BJ was a counselor at this past month. Fire departments from all around the valley create a booth and an incredibly large batch (or two) of chili for people to taste.  A small sample (2oz.) is $2, and a bowl (like the kids have) is $5.  BJ bought enough $2 tickets for me to sample a bit from every department except two (one ran out, and I did not realize the other one had chili..?).  After sampling the chili, I took my "Best Chili" ticket and was able to vote for the one I thought was best.  There were many that were quite delicious, but my top two, honestly-unbiased, favorites were the ones cooked by West Valley's Fire Department.  They were SOOOO good! (A close third was the American Fork's Chili, with Park City right on their tail).  Being in the South Town Mall parking lot was convenient because afterward, the kids and I were able to grab a quick birthday for Aj's upcoming celebration. 
After the cook-off, we headed down the road to Carson's soccer game where he scored a goal!  His team-mate, Bobby, set him up with the perfect corner kick and launched it right to Carson where he flawlessly directed it in.  Unfortunately it was the only score of the game, and the opposing team took us out (quite literally... lots of back tackling...).  

Since BJ was on channel 2 news a few days ago, he owed his parents ice cream (an ongoing thing... see him on the tube and he owes ya a scoop!).  We stopped by after the game and were invited by them and Marcie and Don to join them for dinner.  I ran the kids home real quick and met them at Joy Luck.   We had never been there and I really enjoyed it!  It was really nice spending time with them, we don't do it nearly enough.  

It was a very enjoyable afternoon/evening, and makes me increasingly grateful for the ages of my kids that I can leave them home without having to worry about a babysitter!  

What a wonderful life we live.

0 comments: