Well, when someone has lost weight it's a delicate balance as well. The comment, "Holy cow! You have lost a ton of weight!" May feel like a compliment coming out of your mouth, but could be interpreted as, ("a ton? I haven't even changed pant sizes, how big did I look?"). But the more subtle inquiry, "have you been losing weight?", is a more tactful way of initiating a conversation about someone's trimmed physical appearance. But once it's been said, no need to dwell... things like, "seriously, you look great!" Then 5 minutes later; "I just can't get over how skinny you are!", then 10 minutes after that, "have you had to buy a whole new wardrobe?!" Is going way too far. For me anyway. I have had a few of these experiences lately and sometimes they bolster me onward, and others, reaching for a bag of potato chips and the tv remote.
Yes. I have lost some of my excess "insulation". Some people are going to ask me about it, and my preferred conversation begins with, "what have you been doing...". And to put it out there, this is the gist of what I have been doing to lose weight:

My friend Amie gave me a Fitbit on my birthday this past March, which is also the day we got home from our highly active L.A. adventure. I weighed myself that morning and decided the time had come to take control, but I wasn't sure what to do. After a delicious birthday breakfast with Amie, where she gave me the fitness tracker, I went home, read the instructions (I always read instructions), and have rarely been seen without it since. With my goal set at the American Heart Association recommended 10,000 steps per day, I have met the goal, on average, about 2.5 times per week, and get close to 8,000 about 6 times per week. This is my number one contribution to my weight loss.
Second, breakfast. I am a big believer in a nutrient packed breakfast. My go-to morning meal since March 29, has been a veggie, egg white, omelette, with a multi-grain English muffin. Occasionally I'll toss in some cheese or bacon crumble, but for the most part it's a medley of colorful bell peppers, zucchini, squash and onions, all of which are diced and frozen together. All I have to do is scoop about 1 cup in a buttered (yes, actual butter) sautée pan. I cook them until the moisture has reduced then crack the eggs right over the top, keeping the yolk in the shell to be discarded. Covering the pan steams the top layer of egg finishing it nicely. Then, if I'm feeling it, I add spinach, (also chopped and frozen) cheese and bacon, or ham if I've got it.
Since the gift of the Fitbit I have been more conscientious of my caloric intake but have refused myself, nothing. I still binge on popcorn when I go to the movies. I still eat 2 red lobster biscuits whenever we make them. But instead of eating two tamales on Thursday at Cafe rio, I order two, and ask for extra lettuce and a small side of dressing for a "side salad", and the rice and beans in side dishes so I can eat them with my second tamale the next day. Little changes like this, in accompaniment with the 10,000 step attempt and low calorie yet deliciously filling breakfast, has been the change I needed to shed some of my excess. The hardest part is finding time to walk (I won't go in to my allocation of time, but I have to get creative sometimes). Some days I run a little just to get it done faster, but I really, really hate running, so I try and avoid it.
That's it.
That's the gist.
I don't go in to that much detail when people ask me about it, especially if they are making me feel like I was previously an after school special. But I am happy with my progress and hope I can keep up my fitness and eating habits throughout the baking season.
0 comments:
Post a Comment