
My cousin Melissa works for Sahara construction who has an organization called Sahara Cares (and after looking at their website find it to be an awesome charity! Check out the Carnival for Autism they have coming up.) She called me last week and asked if I could volunteer interpret at a Deaf basketball camp, Sahara Cares sponsors, on Monday. I was hesitant because I never certified, but figured since it was volunteer it would be fine. I was able to go and had so much fun! While there, I met another interpreter, Laura, who found out I had completed the interpreter training program at SLCC but never got certified (If you must know, I passed the written test but failed the performance...) and she told me about a program that pays for people in my situation {interpreters without certification or interpreters interested in advancing their certification} to get certified.
I emailed Laura Monday after I got home, she emailed back Tuesday with the contact of the head of the Fast Track program(Name: Michelle), I emailed Michelle on Tuesday to get more info, She emailed me the info on Wednesday morning. I looked through the information, found answers to all my questions (mostly, what were my costs?.... NONE!) I filled out the application on Wednesday around 8:30, and got a call and email from Michelle around 10:00 on Wednesday letting me know I was automatically accepted into the program and could start Fall semester.
I am going to SCHOOL!!!
I am so excited! I love learning and especially love that I will finally be getting my certification! There are so many perks to this opportunity that it seems too good to be true.
Then... on Wednesday, after all this happened, and after I went to the zoo with Heidi (and ran into Amie there!) I took the kids to Gymnastics then to McDonalds for dinner (which I NEVER do). While at McDonalds I made a new friend... who is Deaf!!! Most of the time when I see someone signing, I just try and eavesdrop but lack the confidence to actually communicate, but not this time! YAY!
So, Thanks Melissa, for asking me to interpret on Monday!
6 comments:
So exciting. I know you have a great passion for it so that is awesome you will be doing something you love.
I took one sign language class as SLCC and couldn't get into the second class. But I LOVED it and learned a ton in my first year. I am so excited for you. This is such a great opportunity for you. Yay for no costs too ;) By the way, thanks for your comment on my blog. I'm hoping we can get Ella into a happier situation.
WOO HOO! I can't wait for you to start this fun adventure!!! =)
That is awesome and p.s.....the Sahara Cares Autism Carnival has always been a huge success. Their foundation is amazing!
Congrats on being accepted to school! That's awesome. I took sign language in high school and then again in college and my sister served an ASL mission. We love sign! :)
good for you!! I'm so excited for you!! Hey did you ever get my text??! We want to meet you at mcdonalds!
Congratulations! I am so excited for you! That is wonderful!
Post a Comment