Year Round vs Traditional

Is there any PROOF out there as to what elementary school scheduling system works best for kids? 
Is it:
Traditional for the long summer break
Year Round for the multiple 3 week mini breaks
Traditional for the un-interrupted learning
Year-round for the burn-out prevention breaks
Traditional for the consistancy
Year-round for the flexibility
Traditional will have to be driven to school every day
Year-round they can walk and or carpool
Traditional they will make friends that they will probably never get to see outside of school
Year-round they can make long lasting friendships that can develop outside of school.

I know every child is different and learns differently (and let's face it, my kids are about as different from each other as siblings can possibly be) but I just don't know how to weigh this choice! Let's just pretend that I have the option (I may know something you don't know...and maybe not...) What is the best choice???

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I've done both and I say Traditional is the best all the way!! But mostly because I work so it is very frustrating to have to find a babysitter every 5 to 6 weeks for 3 weeks at a time! Having the whole summer off is so much better because there are summer camps offered that the kids can go to all day!! I really wish our district would go Traditional!! Oh and I've also noticed with the Track system that it seems to take my kid 3 to 5 days to get back into learning mode which is soooooo annoying to go through ever 5 to 6 weeks! Blah!!!!

The Goffs said...

Year round- it's every 9 weeks that they have to get back into learning mode and it does take a few days to get back into it but it's SO nice having those breaks right? Wanna go to Disney Land in October... YOU CAN! :) How bout St. George in April? GO FOR IT!
Keep us updated on what you decide :) & Tell AJ Hi!

TRICIA said...

i can't decide what is better either. the big problem comes when older kids are traditional and younger ones are year round. we get to start that next year. are you going to try and transfer to silvercrest or a charter school?