Happy birthday to me!

It's here! It's finally HERE!!! My BIRTHDAY!!!!!
I'm serious right now. I look forward to my birthday starting in January. (Sometimes before Christmas) and this year it was a little tricky... BJ and Aj had plans to go on a Boy Scout camp out. So, instead of putting it off a day and having a half birthday, I decided to throw myself a L'80's night! But, before that started at 7:30, I had a whole day planned out:

First, we had to get up and get ready so the kids would be on time to school. Then, after talking to them and to Bj (who wasn't home from work yet) we decided to keep the kids out, only because it was an early day, and bring them with us! So, Bj got home with an armful of flowers and hurried to get ready to go to breakfast. Since there was no wrapping paper, getting "ready" was a lot faster than planned! I was definitely spoiled. Bj took the kids on a spree at Charming Charlie's and bought me a shirt, earrings and a necklace. Ashlyn, the thoughtful little angel, made me a gift; a bunch of hand drawn items with tags:
-a paper flower "you sprout ALL of our flowers"
-a graph-art picture of a butterfly on a dogs nose "you make life easy but a butterfly landing on your nose is not easy"
-fabric hearts on paper with the word LOVE written in ink "we love you, you love us, and that is what keeps us together"
-an outline drawing of a horse head profile "you make us gallop through our lives"
-an outline drawing of a frog on a lily pad in a pond "you make us HOP right through our lives"
-a "color yourself" picture of a spotted stingray "you sting our hearts to love one another"
-a beautiful heartfelt card written front and back.

I was so surprised! Even more surprised than when it was time to go eat I went out to get in the car and Bj had switched his car for his dads truck and in the bed of the truck was a new cruiser bike! After a few laps around the circle I parked it and we went to kneaders for some French toast.

After Kneaders we headed to the District to catch the 11:00 showing of Divergent. There were a couple intense parts but other than that the kids really liked it, especially AJ.

With a belly full of French toast and popcorn, I decided to bail on the meeting I had planned for work. They weren't planning on me but I wanted to go. This last minute change of plans worked out really well because Katie offered to take me for a pedicure! Perfect! So we headed to the salon where it took them about 20 minutes just to start us... Luckily Bj was home and willing to pick up her pre-schooler so we could let our polish dry. Now with pretty toes I was able to go home and decorate for my L'80's night!

Before I could decorate I wanted to get the boys packed and on their way. (Plus, their camping stuff was all over my living room!) They had it pretty much gathered but I just helped with a couple last minute things and kissed them goodbye. Ash and Cars helped me get the dusting, windexing and vacuuming done before Michelle showed up just in time to help decorate. As we finished taping up the decór, we realized it wouldn't be a proper 80's party without leg warmers so we headed to Claire's (by way of Chic-Fil-A) and picked some up and were back just in time for the guests to show up.

As an "opening game" I had a poster for 80's flashback. I forgot to take a picture but it was neon pink with a center start that said "awesome 80's" and four sections where people could write: music, slang, fashion, and movies. It was fun and people were adding to it all night.

I didn't have a plan, but as part of the invitation mentioned a Dessert Cook-off. There were cookies, cakes, dessert breads, brownies and of course, my favorite, Costco cheesecake (that Bj brought home with him from work! Also a surprise). Everyone helped themselves to a sugar rush then we sat down to chat and get better acquainted.

With such a diverse group we decided to do introductions and include how they know me and a random guilty pleasure or confession. Jeanine Richins (grandma who lives across the street) started off and as her confession, she admitted she could remove her thumb and proceeded to entertain us with her disappearing thumb trick! Our sides were aching!! Each person took a turn and then around 10 the general consensus called it a night and headed home to de-poof hair and remove rollerblades. Jena stayed a bit later and helped clean up while we continued to catch up. Ash and cars were watching movies in my room through the night and would intermittently pop in to say hello or grab some snacks, but for the most part they stayed confined and content in their own little netflix bubble.

I love celebrating my birthday. I'm always so spoiled with messages, treats, cards, gifts and blessings from amazing friends, neighbors and family members who love me for the silly, hyper, old lady that I am.
Happy 36th!!

0 comments: