Fired... Literally.

We moved in to our house January 2, 2003.  We could have moved in the week of Christmas prior, but decided a few more nights renting wouldn't hurt. 
This fridge has been running full steam ever since and has served us well. Until about 2 years ago when it started icing over and leaking into the fridge. Iced lettuce really doesn't work so I consulted dr. Google and learned how to cope with a freezer with leaky tear ducts. It was no small feat, de-icing the freezer. We would start off at the first sign of ice (which was often once we noticed it in the fridge, but more recently, because if the increase in frequency that it occurred I took to checking the freeze about every other day). I would have the kids form an assembly line from the inside freezer to the deep freeze in the garage and we would pass items from person to person while we completely emptied the inside freezer of all its contents. The next step was to chip out any ice I could without damaging the appliance. Lastly was to leave the freezer door open and unplug the fridge allowing the freezer to defrost and the drain hole to flow freely once again (making the big white box a cooler instead of a fridge). I guess the last step would technically to remind the kids to stay out of the fridge or they would risk spoiling everything in the fridge. 
Well. Today started off as any other annoying de-icing except when I put a washrag in the freezer to absorb some of the thawing moisture, it touched a coil under a panel at the back of the freezer and the beautiful, handmade, washrag, caught on fire. 
Yes,
It caught on FIRE!
I told Bj to meet me at Lowes after work, we were getting a new fridge. 

Now this picture is a historical marking of something that once was. Thank goodness for that. 

0 comments: