Beside Bjs side of the bed would be our baby in the bassinet. He is a deep sleeper, and can basically fall asleep on command. So when the baby cried, needing a feeding, or whatever, I would nudge his sleeping form and he would make the initial contact. He would try the "one-hand-tap-on-the-back", the "binki re-insertion", the "rock the bassinet", all before gently cradling the whimpering miracle. I would then retrieve the inconsolable bundle, go to the family room, settle in to my rocker or recliner and nurse my Tylenol PM through to my offspring. Once they were contentedly drooling, I would go back to bed, pass the baby to BJ who would pat their back until they spewed across his chest or relieved their excess pressure. Then he would gently roll the baby back to the cozy bassinet.
It was a great system. It worked flawlessly (when he was on shift, I didn't mind doing it myself).
When the kids were older, And would come in because of nightmares, they still would not be invited into our bed. We would offer comfort, and alternate endings to change the course of the dream then lie beside them in their bed until they were ok. If they were inconsolable we would drag their bedding into our room where they would sleep peacefully on the floor beside us (we never told them about the monsters that live under there).
Same rule for sickness- ish. I do not handle vomit well so bj would be on clean-up, I would be on bedding change, we would give them Tylenol, a bowl, and a kiss on the head. They then had the option of their bed or our floor.

Now that our kids are no longer nursing, need consoling for nightmares, or miss the toilet when sickness strikes, we rarely have to give them a sleeping choice.
A few years ago, bj and I upgraded to a king sized mattress. Since then, if the circumstance is right, I will allow a child to sleep in Bj's spot when he is at work. We build a pillow barricade and they have their side and I have mine. It's a peaceful arrangement that satisfies all.
Until last night.
When I went to bed after watching, "The Help" (great movie!), Carson was completely passed out, nestled into Bj's indentation. I put on pajamas (which I usually just sleep in my unders, but don't like to if my kids are in there), then built a pillow barricade, put in my ear-plugs (he's a quiet snorer) and sunk in to my new cool gel pillow. For about three seconds- when he cascaded our "pillowcade" and slung his heavy arm over my face. I reset our sleeping scenario, and tried again. This time I made it about 45 minutes before his foot found my ribcage. Reset, attack. Reset, attack. Finally after 4:00, I woke him up and began to lead him to his bed. He was startled and sleepily reached for my bed then asked, "what are you doing?". I told him he needed to go to bed. He responded with a slurred, "I'm sleeping right there". (Pointing to my bed). I told him no and he asked, "Why?!". And just as I started to explain he put up his hand (think, "talk to the hand") and spit out, "shhhhhh!!!", then stumbled into his bed and shut his eyes before he hit the pillow.
I'm officially back to the whole "no kids in my bed" rule.
I love them beyond words, but they need a well rested mother.
0 comments:
Post a Comment