Hmmm...

Last night, I logged on facebook.
Facebook you ask? What's that?
That is exactly what I was trying to figure out.

I have been a "Member" of Facebook for a while now but am not sure what it is for. Typically, When I get on to the computer, I check my Hotmail email address (that I get all my school emails through as well as BJ's family), my Comcast address (is where my family and church emails go), I have even assisted in launching a YW blog as to help with communication with the Young Women in my ward (thinking how up & hip that would be...) well, apparantly "Facebook" is the trumph card, the ace of spades.Where in the world have I been?

"I facebooked you"

"Did you see my status update on facebook"

"I found_______on facebook"

After about an hour and a half of facebook stalking, I still don't really understand the point. Am I missing something? Is online social networking really the thing of the future? Do people still use phones (when they are not on the computer at the same time)? Do I remember being young at home and being embarassed for my parents lack of "Know"?.

I am living in a world that is moving a million times faster than myself. 

And then there's texting.  Don't get me wrong, I am a HUGE fan of texting.  Texting I get,... texting I get.
but at the same time,

I don't get it.
Last night I was on the phone, more than once.  It was really interesting to have a conversatoin with a human being.  I was able to listen to a laugh, not just look at the LOL! I heard pauses in their voice, not the ... of a thought.  I was able to make plans in one stream of thoughts without them being interrupted.  *sigh* what an effective method of communication.  That Alex G Bell was inspired.

I guess the thing I am having a hard time comprehending is the reasonings behind the technological advances.  Who thinks, "My 2 email accounts don't reach enough people, I want do connect to people I haven't talked to, thought about or seen in 12 years"... Who thinks, "I want to go to the movies with a friend, but I want to plan the whole thing without actually talking to them" (on that note, is it true texting was invented for the Deaf community?  I can see that)

Blogging I get. No training necessary. (fyi)

Technology,
It is genius. It really is.  I am grateful.
But I am a little overwhelmed. Especially after realizing that there is so much more out there.

I'm going to read a book. (an actual book that has actual pages made of actual paper)

4 comments:

@mie said...

Amen, sista! =)
Except I don't get cell phones and texting! =)

Aimee said...

I prefer blogging to Facebook although I do check Facebook daily. I like to see the status updates from people. Sometimes it gets excessive because who really cares what someone is doing every second but sometimes it is fun to see what people you don't usually interact with is doing.

I agree it takes personal interaction away but on its own level there is a degree of being social. Shy people are probably loving social networking!

That being said I still prefer human interaction and connection to all technology out there.

Steph said...

I think maybe one reason you don't understand facebook is because you still live in the same state you grew up in. You probably occasionally see people you went to elementary school with, or your mom can tell you who married who or what so-and-so is up to.
But for all of us who grew up in a few different states, went to college and lived with roommates, and now moved away from friends they made while married Facebook is an amazing way to keep in touch with people and find out how people are doing.
I AM one of those people who wants to connect with people I haven't seen in 12 years...people I haven't been able to connect with because I have NO family living in Alaska and because before Facebook I had no idea how to find them.
Without Facebook I'm pretty positive I would have had no idea what had happened to Heidi, or that my friend from high school had a little boy with Leukemia, or that a girl I knew in college has a son with cancer...people I've been hurting for and praying for since I did find out what had happened to their little families.
So for people like me...facebook IS great. I wouldn't be "keeping in touch" with 3/4 of the people I am if it weren't for Facebook.
Novel over. :)

John and Heidi said...

I love Facebook as you know!!! but is for communication. I do like the games and all the other stuff.... I can understand the overwhelmingness of it all.

I also love my blog and more so now that I have been posting parts of myself that more personal.