Dad

We are so blessed to have this man in our lives. So blessed. In 1998(1999?) dad ended up with a double-bypass heart surgery. I don't think I've ever been more terrified or emotional in my life. Well, a few weeks ago, dad finally admitted to having similar symptoms of the pain he experienced 17ish years ago and was able to be convinced to have a cardiologist do an examination. His appointment couldn't come soon enough and within hours he was in surgery with an incredible team of doctors feeling innovative enough to thread multiple catheders through his heart and basically floss his arteries to remove life stopping build-up.  My heart was feeling awfully sick as I waited for updates and announcements regarding his progress. As the quick procedure dragged on for a few extra hours, the more my imagination psyched me out. 



I kept imagining an emergency heart replacement surgery. 

Or worse.  

I finally decided to blow off my SLCC math class (the prep before the final) and go see for myself.  When I arrived, I saw three of my brothers siting with my mom in an otherwise empty room.  Within the next 15 minutes, Dad was wheeled in looking weak and pale.  Choking on sobs that were trying to escape, I waited for the doctor to tell us the news.  He did his best to explain the miracle that occurred in the OR but seemed baffled himself .  My dad is suppose to be here.  We need him.  We love him.  We want him around.  We are so grateful to the doctors and staff who fixed him up and brought him back from the brink.  

Now if we can only get his hearing fixed?

0 comments: