Ode to Mom

I'd be lying if I said I always appreciated my mother.  I, even at the present, don't think I fully grasp what an amazing mom I have. 

The most recent "Amazing Act of Kash" (Mom's name): My house burnt down when I was 16, like...almost to the ground.  We lost everything.  Some things were ok, but severely smoke damaged.  Imagine being a mom and having all your pictures, journals, memories, crumble at your touch. Not getting into it right now, but in the fire, were all of the books that Grandma (seen above) gave each of the kids for Christmas since the year of their birth.  Included in each book was a personalized note (and quite often, poem).  Let me tell you what happens to books in an in-direct fire (meaning, not direct contact with flames...heat and smoke damage only); If they have a book jacket (dust cover? whatever it's called) it turns to dust the first time it is touched, somewhat preserving the book itself .  The book-binding-glue obeys the "liquid when hot" rule and puddles at the base, cools, and you have a nice fat blob of rubber.  As far as the pages, they become brittle and dry and smokey around the edges.  ANYWAY... Mom saved each of our "Grandma Books", and (after years of trying to track down the books to re-buy them without luck for various reasons) this year for valentines day, she had lovingly wrapped each delicate memory in transparent contact paper and hand delivered them with a beautiful poem. I can once again read my treasured Anne of Green Gables, Number the Stars, When I Have a Little Girl, and many others that I enjoyed as a child.  Although my fingers will continue to collect soot from the pages, I can read my grandmas heartfelt words, snuggle up with some home-spun love, then go wash my smokey hands!

That's just typical Kash.

She is constantly doing what is best for her kids and those she loves. Her life could be a  "Mormon-Ad".  She thrives on making others lives easier.  The more I hear about other peoples moms, the more I comprehend how lucky I am to be her daughter. (And my grandma's granddaughter!)

To those who feel jipped in the "Mom Department": My heart aches for you.  Especially when you need a mom and don't have one to turn to.  Just remember, Life is what YOU make it, not what your mom made it....unless your mom made life the way you WANT it .
You choose the footsteps you follow in, you're not given shoes to fit into.

If all else fails, call my mom.  She has a soft shoulder, great hearing, and an open heart.

Thanks Mom.
I love you.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

agreed Kash is the best.

Proud to have her name...
Shannon Kathleen

good post. wonderful idea!

@mie said...

Thanks Lizz!
I know you weren't talking just to me, but I'd like to think you were! =)

You're Mom is the best because she helped you become who you are...

my Mom! LOL =)

Jena Wright said...

I love your Mom!!!!!!!